Thursday 14 April 2011

Smiling Down on Us

Sometimes there is no doubt about whether a decision is the right one or not. Sometimes there are signs that confirm that yes, we are on the path that we were meant to travel.  I made a life choice last week that will shape my future dramatically: I asked my partner to marry me.  The idea's been brewing for a while now and Friday was the right time.  We were on a picnic by the sea and the sun had been shining all day.  We were both feeling an immense and powerful happiness and were talking about it, when I suggested a way to ensure a lifetime of such happiness and popped the question.  The answer was the one I was hoping for and there was much rejoicing.  The sunny day had developed a sort of soft glow as the afternoon waned and, looking to the west, we saw two well formed sundogs; one on either side of the powdered sun.  There was a ring that followed around at the radius of the sundogs only much fainter.  I've seen thousands of skies, no two alike and none remotely like the one I saw last Friday.  It was as though the whole world was fuzzy, kind of like fog, but fog made of sleepy sunshine.  As we rolled in the meadow, laughed, hugged and wiped a few tears of joy from our eyes we beheld a rainbow inverted, as a smile, high in the sky.  The colours were crisp and bright and as we watched, it only became more defined.  I felt as though I had lost my footing in reality and stumbled into some kind of magical world.  There was a crescent moon right next to this arc, smiling too as smiles are contagious.  The other folks at the park were preoccupied with picking daffodils, gazing out to sea, or just soaking up the delicious flavor of that rare early spring sun softened by high altitude ice and did not notice the miracle happening overhead.  It was a sight which seemed to be happening exclusively for my girl and I.  A private moment where the Great Spirit was smiling approval at our agreement to join our lives to each other.  I felt honored and blessed by this sign and was sure that what was happening high above us was a direct result of the power of our Love.  And we laughed and wept a little more.

All the treasures that can be held in safes, written as secrets, or sunk in lagoons do not come close to the rarity and clarity of the gifts that Nature offers.

1 comment:

  1. wow , that is amazing .
    i am so happy for you howie , you deserve it .
    i want to meet your lady some day ! she sounds wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete